Monday, September 12, 2011

My First Two Days

Spain is GORGEOUS! I love it here already. The people are so friendly and I really like my host family. Speaking Spanish is much harder than understanding it, and I can hardly understand what anyone says to me, but I'm much better than when I first arrived.
I got here on Saturday at around 8 in the morning. After I got back to the house and finished unpacking, my family had lunch with family friends of theirs. Three of the people who came were practically fluent in English, so that made the day less stressful. Then we went to the community pool. It was weird to see people smoke infront of their kids at such a public place, but I guess it's very common.
Yesterday I went to my first bullfight. It was so interesting! At first I couldn't watch because it was so scary. Those bulls come very close to hitting the matadors! Once the bull actually did hit a matador! The bull got him with its horns and then started to trample him, then the other matadors were able to distract it. The matador just got up, took a break, then continued. I have no idea how he did it. He looked like he got really hurt.
After a bull is killed, the matadors cut off its ears, then throw them to the crowd. The ears are the prizes of the bullfight. My host dad kept trying to catch one for me, and I know it's a cultural thing, but I did NOT want a freshly cut bull ear thrown at me.
Tomorrow I'm going to go to the school to get registered. I'm really excited to meet new people, but I'm afraid of the homework. I guess there isn't a lot of homework in Spain, but I'm still scared.
But Spain is incredible! I'm having a lot of fun, and I know it will only get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment